Mayme's Journey Through This Life

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Survived!

Well, I am here and not dead. I didn't croak in the dentist chair. I was terribly scared. My whole body shook pretty hard the entire time. I just couldn't stop it. He said he thinks I need to be sedated if I ever have a tooth pulled again because I am so afraid. I could tell he was pretty upset with me for my fear but I really couldn't help it. The worst part of the whole ordeal was the dentist being upset with me. He said he didn't have the patience for me. At that point all I could do was cry. It didn't hurt at all. He got it good and numb and he was fast. I really felt nothing. I was pretty sore last night although not nearly in as much pain as I was before I had the tooth out. It only hurts a little this morning. This after pain is much more bearable than the pain before. I don't think my fear is so much of the pain as it is of feeling looked down on. I have never gone to a dentist that didn't make me feel like a pain in the ass stupid idiot. I keep starting to cry. I try to stop it. I can't. Everyone thinks I am just in a lot of pain. The pain isn't so bad at all. I just keep remembering the dentist with a sharp tone in his voice saying he didn't have the patience for me and that it was the end of his day and he wanted to go home. Then when I started to say something he just grabbed my mouth open and pulled out the tooth. If I am just given a second to take a deep breath I can always get myself calm, but I didn't get that. That's really when the shaking started the worst. I was shaking before but that is when it became uncontrollable. I know I am a horrible patient. It isn't really so much the pain that scares me though. I knew that pain would be less than the pain I had been enduring for the past 2 months. He said I probably wouldn't even need an aspirin. Now that certainly wasn't true but I could probably stand just a couple of Tylenol. He gave me pain meds which I took last night so I could rest better. I don't think I am going to take anything today unless it is really bothering me. If it isn't too bad I will just stick with the Tylenol.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    That has to be the worst bedside manner I've ever heard of in a dentist!!!! Obviously he did a decent job of freezing and extracting, but his manner toward you sucks and I'm sorry you had to deal with a dentist like him.

    There are SO MANY dentists here who actually specialize in dealing with terrified patients, and they're really great at calming you down and putting you at ease. They don't make you feel bad for being scared and they don't talk to you like you're wrong. Those are the very dentists who help people overcome their fear of dental work and keep people going back when they need to.

    I'm glad it's feeling better already Mayme. It won't be long and you won't feel anything there at all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home