Mayme's Journey Through This Life

Monday, October 02, 2006

Another Monday!

I don't think I stopped by once all last week. I just wasn't in a blogging mood. Now I have my blog and everyone else's to get caught up on. I probably won't get to it today. I have an appointment to get my hair cut and my eyebrows waxed. Not looking forward to that, but I tend to get a bit bushy. I don't get them ripped down to nothing but I get them tamed a little. Jenny is going to stay home while I go. She has a lot of school work to get done today. I have never left her home alone before. I am really nervous about that. I know she is old enough and should be just fine, but well.... I guess I am just an overly worried Mom.

Yesterday we started painting the kitchen. We didn't get very far. We spent most of the time cleaning the walls and filling holes and cracks. We are painting it a cream color and a country green. The cream has a little more yellow in it than I expected but I still think it is going to look great. It has to look better than dingy almost baby blue with pink spots showing through here and there. Slowly we are getting the house suited to what we like. Some things my mother doesn't allow us to change. She wants all the woodwork in the house to be white. That isn't going to happen though. I think she'll like it once she sees it though. She has this thing about wanting to keep everything the way it was when my grandmother was living. The last time most of the things in this house have been changed has been at least 25 years ago. We were finally allowed to change the carpet in the living room when it started to fall apart on the floors. It was bright red. When we took the shreds of it out we found newspaper underneath that they used as padding, I think. It was dated 1950. We have dark paneling on the living room walls which I would like to change but we don't have the money for that yet. So Mom won't have to worry about that being changed just yet. The two bedrooms upstairs had an awful gold carpet in them. It also smelled bad. She didn't complain when I ripped them up and tossed them out the upstairs window. She knew they were awful. Our bedroom used to be painted with lilac walls and green ceiling, not to mention the gold carpet. We have since painted the walls of our bedroom blue but we haven't done the ceiling yet. It is still dingy green and peeling. I feel like I am sleeping in one of Motts' abandonements when I look at the ceiling. We wanted to do the kitchen before we do the ceiling though. We are having a party the end of the month and want the kitchen to be done by then. After the kitchen is done we will tackle the hallway. That should be done before the party too. There is a hole in the ceiling there now. The plaster fell down one day while we were out. So we have to repair that and paint it. Then we can finish our room. We have bare floors in there now too. It hurts my feet. So as soon as we can afford it we are putting a carpet down in there. We need so many things done here. The joys of an old house, huh? We just do them as we can. At least we don't have red carpet in the living room anymore. And the mardi gras bedroom is gone. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it were vivid mardi gras colors. Dingy, pale versions don't cut it. Jenny's bedroom had last been painted when my brother was 1 and I was 3. He was sleeping in the room and my grandmother left the lid off the paint can. So I decided to paint my little brother's feet. We did Jenny's room for her last summer as a surprise while she was away at her Dad's. She loved it. All her friends wanted to know if we would decorate thier rooms! Ha! The kitchen also needs new flooring. Let's not even get started on what needs done outside.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    There is ALWAYS much work to be done when you own a house..... the work never ends does it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home