Mayme's Journey Through This Life

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Freaked out a bit!

What a scary day I had yesterday! First thing in the morning I went to have my blood drawn for my 3 month tests. Things really went smoothly at the lab. I only had to get stuck once this time instead of my usual two or three times. I went in, sat down and told them, "My veins are tiny. They use pediatric needles. I get dizzy if you are poking around inside a lot so if you don't hit it take it out and try again. They never get blood from my arm so do it on my hand." For the first time ever they simply said OK and did it like I asked. One stick, no poking around and they got the blood right away. I told them I have been a diabetic for 27 years and I know very well how I do with blood draws. I was a little surprised at how painless it was when they don't go digging and grinding all over your veins.

After the blood draw I went for breakfast, to the grocery store and stopped for gas. It was when I stopped for gas that my day got creepy. I parked my van at the last pump, never realizing how I nearly vanished from sight in that spot. There was a car facing toward the gas station on the other side of the pump. My van blocked any view of me from the road. I hadn't really paid much attention to it at the time but on the other side of the pump this man kept walking back and forth. I thought he was throwing things in the trash can just past the pump because he kept walking to there. (From there you could see me.) Suddenly the man comes around the other side of the pump and says, "Can you help me?" I asked him what was wrong. He told me his cas cap was stuck and he wanted me to reach inside his car and pull a lever while he tried to get the cap off. I told him I was not comfortable doing that. Well, instead of going off to find someone else to help him he kept persisting. He said I didn't have to get in the car I only had to reach inside and pull this lever on the floor. I must have told the guy I wasn't comfortable at least five time. I was walking backward, shaking my head no and holding my hands out in front of me the whole time. You would think he would go away getting told no so many times and watching my body language. He did not back off. I got in my van and locked the doors. Then he left. He went the most unusual route to leave I have ever seen. He backed up and went around behind a tanker truck, then up like he was going to the grocery store. He drove through the grocery store parking lot, through a construction zone and then got on the main road. He could have simply turned right out of the gas station to get onto this road. After it all happened I started thinking about it. He had the car door open and was facing the gas station. He wanted me to bend over and reach inside his car while he was standing behind me and to the side by the gas cap. My van is on one side. His car is on the other. The open car door is blocking view from the front and his body would block the view from the back. He wants me to get into a position that makes me vulnerable. One quick shove and I would have been inside that car. I would have gone in head first toward the floor. He could have pushed me all the way in and drove off with me in an instant. Even screaming wouldn't have helped much because it might not even be heard and he could be out of there so fast too. There was also a lot of noise in that area from construction. I know I have a very active imagination but I can't help but keep thinking that maybe I have just escaped something horrible. I know that serial killers often get victims by appealing to thier sense of sympathy. I think about that and remember that his first words to me where, "Can you help me?" The other thing that makes me really suspicious of this guy is that he didn't back off. Most people would immediately say they were sorry and move on to find someone else to help. He didn't . The other thing is, why would he want me to help him. There were men at other pumps and inside the building. Why didn't he go inside and ask for help? I definately felt very uneasy. You know that small, still voice. It wasn't being small and still. It was being large and screaming.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    And I'm so glad you're good at listening to your inner voice Maymsee!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home